Murano Burano island tour: half day tours
Dedicate a few hours of your stay in Venice to discovering the marvellous little islands of the lagoon: the glass-maker island of Murano, colourful Burano, Torcello and its glorious past! If you are traveling to Venice and you have very little time, but you would still like to take a trip to the most famous Venice islands, join this boat tour of Murano, Burano and Torcello!
WHY DID WE LIKE THIS EXPERIENCE SO MUCH?
- Get a flavour of the Murano, Burano and Torcello Islands!
- You can see the master blowers at work in a Murano glass factory!
- Visit the lace shops of Burano and take photos of colorful houses!
- Learn about the history of the oldest inhabited island of Venice, Torcello!
These half-day trips offer the possibility to visit Murano, Burano in an half day (4 hours and half). It is perfect if you do not have so many ima at your disposal!
There are two departure options:
- one is near Piazzale Roma and the railway station. It is therefore very convenient if you sleep in Mestre/mainland, if you arrive by train or if you stay in cannaregio area.
- the other is next to St Mark Square (Cornoldi)
These difefrent tours are available in the morning or afternoon throughout the all year!
Venice Islands: what to see?
A multilingual guide will give explanations during the boat trip and you will have around 30 to 45 minutes in each island. You will visit a glass factory in Murano, where you will see a free glass blowing demonstration. The rest of the time on the island is free. In the island of Burano, you could visit renowned lace shop where you can see demonstration of the production of the precious Burano lace.
One of our tour includes a stop in Torcello, to breathe the ancient air of the origins of Venice and visit cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta.
Murano Burano island morning tour (10am – 2.30pm)
- 10 am – Departure Piazzale Roma – train station
- 10.30 am. Departure Cornoldi, San Marco.
- Navigation to Murano. Free time in Murano (45 min), including 20 minutes glass blowing demonstration
- Navigation to Burano with free time to explore Burano (45 min)
- 2.30 pm – Arrival in St.Mark’s Square.The tour ends at San Marco. There is no return transfer to Piazzale Roma.
Murano Burano island afternoon tour (1pm -6pm)
- 1 pm Pick-up in Piazzale Roma / S. Lucia Station area.
- 1.30 pm Departure Riva degli Schiavoni (near San Marco).
- 2 pm Arrival in Murano, visit to a famous glassworks for glass demonstration and free time (around 1 hour on the island).
- 3.30 pm Arrival in Burano famous for its lace and colorful houses – (around 1 hour on the island)
- 5.30 pm Arrival in San Marco/Cornoldi
- 6 pm Return to Piazzale Roma
Murano Burano and Torcello island tour in the afternoon tour (2 – 7 pm)
- 2.00 pm – Pick-up from Santa Lucia
- 2.30 pm. Pick up Riva degli Schiavoni (near San Marco).
- Navigation to the first island: Murano
- Free time in Murano (45 min). Including 20 minutes glass blowing demonstration (included).
- Navigation to the second island : Burano with free time to explore Burano (45 min)
- Navigation to the third island: Torcello with free time to visit Torcello (45 min)
- 6.30 pm – Arrival in St.Mark’s Square.
- 7 pm: Arrival in Piazzale Roma
Venetian Lagoon Day Tour: the highlights
The island of Murano is synonymous with the art of blown glass. In fact, from the thirteenth century, Murano is the centre of the Venetian glass industry, whose techniques have been handed down from generation to generation. The tour includes a demonstration by master glassmakers of Murano glass and the creation of beautiful objects.
Burano is certainly the most picturesque place in the lagoon with its brightly coloured houses. Local legend has it that the fishermen of Burano painted their houses in bright colours to recognize them when they returned from the sea in the days of thick fog.
The Venetians deny this legend, however Burano has certainly become a unique place in the world, a joy for the eyes and for photographers, as can be seen from the many Burano photo galleries. Burano is also known all over the world for the production of artisan lace, increasingly rare due to the difficulty of the technique. Here, in fact, the lace is worked on the pillow, which allows the creation of the finest laces with the most complex designs. Historically probably only the kings and queens of Europe could afford this precious lace. Today the scarcity of lace is due more to the limited number of lacemakers. Visit the Lace Museum, next to the grandiose church of San Martino to retrace the history of this unique art in the world!
The small island of Torcello will take you back in time to the origins of Venice. It was in fact the first island to be inhabited and was once much more active than it is today. In the past it served as the hub of commercial traffic in the lagoon and was inhabited by thousands of people.Today there are only 12 left!
What can you see in Torcello? Certainly the centre of the island is really exceptional, it is the site of the Basilica of Santa Maria Dell’Assunta, with its Byzantine mosaics, the Church of Santa Fosca, and, a few steps away, the legendary Throne of Attila. On the way to the complex you will also cross the Ponte del Diavolo (Devil Bridge), with its peculiar structure without parapets. Also with stories to tell.
Transportation to the islands: is it better to go on a tour or to use your ACTV passes?
ACTV (public transport) passes allow unlimited travel to the islands of the Venice lagoon for 24, 48, 72 hours or longer. They can be a good solution to visit the islands independently, especially if you want to take the time to visit museums and artistic sites (which we certainly recommend). However, ACTV passes are risky in the summer months and weekends, when the queues at ACTV landing stages are really long and the boats are crowded. You might get stuck on an island waiting for a boat and waste hours at the end of a day for not choosing an organized tour.That’s why, for the same price with a 24 hour ACTV pass (20 Euro), to visit Murano Burano Torcello it may be advisable to opt for an organized tour, especially if you are in a group!
Are you interested in a similar tour but in the morning instead? here we are:
Murano Burano Tour from Venice half day morning tour
- Pet Friendly
- Child Friendly
- Accessible to persons with reduced mobility
- Accessible with public transport
Morning 2 islands tours and afternoon 3 islands tours
- Full price: 25 €
- Children (0-10 years): 10 €
- Students under 25 years: 15€
- Optional: 5€ return to piazzale roma (only afternoon tour)
Afternoon 2 islands tour
Departure piazzale roma/train station
- Full price: 30 €
- Children between 3-10 years: 15 €
- Free up to 3 years
Departure St Marsk Square/ cornoldi
- Full price: 25 €
- Children between 3-10 years: 10 €
- Free up to 3 years
from 4 to 6 hours
Look at the updated calendar
Included / Excluded
• boat travel to the islands of the Venice Lagoon
• multilingual assistance on board
• free visit to the islands of Murano, Burano and Torcello
• glass blowing demonstration in Murano
Anything not listed in the ‘included’ section.
Entrance ticket to the Cathedral in Torcello (Entrance Ticket costs 5 Euro per person).
Once purchased, the ticket can be cancelled until the last 48 tours wit a 20% penalty. It is possible to change the date, up to 24 hours before the departure of the selected tour. In the case of NO SHOW or delay, no reimbursement will be possible.
The customer is entitled to a 100% refund in the event of: cancelled service due to boat failure or adverse weather conditions that prevent navigation.
The customer is entitled to a 50% refund in the event of: disservice as a serious delay of the boat (over 30 minutes).
Other practical information
Please be at departure point at least 20 minutes in advance!
Free visit of the islands and transfer by boat with multilingual tour leaders that provide information on the visited places.
All tours are wheelchair-accessible. In the summer we suggest to people with limited mobility to take the tour from Monday to Friday.
Safety equipment included.
Dogs are allowed only if they have a muzzle.
Meeting Point EN
Do you want to know more or check availability?