Venice airports – where do they land?
Congratulations! You have decided to Visit Venice and you are now looking for the cheapest flight online. You need to choose the airline and flight time and which departure airport is the best for you. Then think about how you are going to get from the airport into Venice.
Typing Venice Airport into your computer will bring up three options for you.
- Marco Polo Airport Venice – VCE This airport is just 12km away from the city of the Doges, overlooking the lagoon and facing towards Venice. It is the international airport for the whole of North East Italy
– Treviso Canova Airport- Sant’Angelo – TSF. This airport is 3km from the pretty medieval town of Treviso and 25km from Venice. This is the airport served mainly by low cost airlines such as Ryanair, with national, as well as European destinations.
– Venice Airport – any: this will show all airport options including both Venice Marco Polo airport and Treviso airport,
So, Venice has two airports, but which is the best one for you? Both are really well connected to Venice by public and private transport services that will allow you to reach your hotel, B & B or apartment quickly and without spending too much, so it is really up to you! Check out times of departure and arrival to make the best choice for you. Here is some more information on both airports and how to get from them into the centre of Venice.
Venice Marco Polo airport – what you need to know
Venice Marco Polo Airport , with its elegant and modern design, is like a small independent centre where you can find everything you will need. The arrivals area is on the ground floor of the airport terminal while the departure area is on the first floor.
Just outside the airport there are plenty of paid parking areas (add Parkos affiliate link when available), short or long stay; while on the third floor of Park 1 (the covered parking of Venice airport), you will find the major car rental companies.
To reach Venice you can choose from
– transport on land: at the entrance on the ground floor there are taxis (prices starting from € 45 for Piazzale Roma) and the bus stops of the ATVO and ACTV lines (in both cases with prices starting from € 8)
– water transport: from the airport dock, which can be reached from the first floor, there are both water taxis (prices starting from € 120) and the Alilaguna waterbus (prices starting from € 15);
It may seem strange, but we Venetians choose the bus to get to Piazzale Roma from Venice airport and vice versa .. simply because it’s faster! If your accommodation is in Mestre don’t worry as it is easy to get a bus there. ATVO also provides public transport services throughout the eastern Veneto, including to the beaches of Jesolo and Caorle.
Venice Treviso airport – essential information
The Venice – Treviso airport is, in effect the second largest airport in Venice, where mainly low cost airlines operate with destinations throughout Italy and Europe. You may find it referred to as Antonio Canova airport (the name of the famous sculptor to which it is entitled) or Sant’Angelo airport (from the district of Treviso where it is located), anyway .. they are all the same airport!
Compared to Marco Polo, it is much smaller but is equally well supplied with cafes, bars and some shops. The arrivals hall is on the first floor, while departures are on the first floor. A few steps from the airport terminal are parking spaces (add Parkos affiliate link) and car rentals.
Being on the mainland, you will need to travel to the historic center of Venice over land. In addition to the private taxi service to Piazzale Roma (price from € 76), the company ATVO provides an excellent public bus service to both Mestre and Venice (prices from € 15). The bus would be our choice from Treviso airport to Venice and vice versa: it is fast, cheap and comfortable (with free Wi-Fi on board!). The train is also possible but less convenient. From the airport you go to Treviso railway station, then take the train to the Santa Lucia station in Venice where you can take a boat to your accommodation.
Now that you know all the transport options,check out the rest of our site to plan your Venice visit. Find out about
- the Venice Lagoon
- The Sestieri di Venezia
- Venice places of interest Venice
- Venice events
- What to do in Venice
- Our recommendations