Fest of the Redeemer in Venice on a sailing boat
La Festa del Redentore is the most beloved Venice events for Venetians. It takes place every third weekend of July to celebrate the end of the terrible plague by the intervention of the Christ Redeemer.
Fireworks are thrown from the Giudecca canal above the st mark s basin. The most beautiful way to experience the Redentore in Venice is on a boat: the best view to see the fireworks display but above all a splendid way to have a boat party with Venice in the background!
WHY DID WE LIKE THIS EXPERIENCE SO MUCH?
- Celebrating Redeemer on a boat is certainly the right way to do it!
- Enjoying the fireworks display from the water in St Mark’s basin is a unique experience.
- You can enjoy a dinner with traditional dishes on board a sailing boat while watching Venice.
€ 275 per person
Other practical information
- The boat is a 12-metre sloop or sloop and can accommodate up to 10 people aged 2 and over; in addition, parents can bring their own children under the age of 2.
- The boat has a fully equipped kitchen, refrigerator, music and deck space for sunbathing.
- The departure point is at Marina di Sant’Elena; please be present at the embarkation point a few minutes before departure.
- Guests must be equipped with clothing suitable for rain and wind.
- You will be barefoot on board – if it is necessary to wear footwear due to cold or rain, shoes with leather or heels are not permitted, but white rubber shoes.
- Each person may only take one soft backpack without metal parts, with a maximum volume of 30 litres – no rigid suitcases or trolleys are permitted.
- It is not permitted to bring on board or use disposable plastic of any kind (bottles, glasses, crockery).
Included / Excluded
- dinner on board.
- anything not expressly mentioned under ‘Included’.
- The itinerary is indicative and subject to weather and environmental conditions, so the decision with respect to the predetermined route and any changes is solely the captain’s responsibility.
- Once a booking has been confirmed, there are no refunds. Due to the high number of requests for this event, we are forced to establish very strict cancellation policies, with no refunds in the event of cancellation. If the event is cancelled due to COVID, the ticket will be refunded 90%, postponed to the following year or turned into a voucher. In case the fires are cancelled, the event will take place in accordance with COVID regulations.
- In the event of bad weather or any other situation beyond the organisers’ control, the evening will never be cancelled, except in the event of very adverse weather conditions, which will be indisputably assessed by the captain. If the weather conditions do not allow the regular running of the evening, the Municipality of Venice (organiser of the firework show) may postpone the starting time of the performance, before announcing the possible cancellation of the show. In the event of cancellation of the fireworks display due to any reason beyond our control, the event will still take place on board with dinner.
Saturday 15th of July 2023
If these past years were unprecedented for many of us, the city of Venice had a feeling of déjà vu. Redeemer’s Day celebrates the end of the most terrible pandemic Venice has ever know, and it took a divine intervention to come to an end.
Every year, the Venetians gather to remember this divine intervention and give their gratitude to their savior: the Christ Redeemer.
This is the biggest festival in Venice, and you can join the party ! Just one thing : you are going to need boat !
Festival Redentore Venice on a sailing boat 2023
Welcome aboard our sailing boat! A truly unique opportunity to celebrate this amazing Venetian festivity: a suggestive night on a boat with a buffet dinner on board and your favourite music in the background!
You will enjoy an idyllic panorama to admire the typical fireworks in the Saint Mark basin.
Embarkation is scheduled for 19.00 hours in order to set sail in the direction of the San Marco basin. We will then position ourselves in the first stalls to admire the fireworks. We will enjoy our dinner on board and celebrate while waiting for the fireworks display. The Redentore evening boat accommodates a maximum of 10 participants and you are guaranteed to enjoy the most beautiful event of the Venetian summer and beyond in good company.
The Redeemer on a sailing boat: program 2023
- Embarkation at Marina di Sant’Elena at 7 pm.
- Positioning and anchorage in a privileged position in St. Mark’s Basin.
- Dinner on the boat and party while waiting for the fireworks.
- Fireworks display on the Feast of the Redeemer.
- Return to the embarkation point at the end of the fireworks at 1 am on Sunday.
Menu of the dinner on board for the Fest of the Redeemer
To celebrate the Redeemer’s Day in the best possible way and enjoy the magnificent fireworks from the water, it is customary to dine on board the boat. The dinner menu for this evening will obviously be in keeping with tradition and will include traditional seafood dishes.
- Raw tuna
- Seafood pasta with lobster or similar.
Reedemer festival, what is it?
What is celebrated on the Redentore Day? To understand this, we must go back to 1575 and 1576. Venice was in the middle of a pandemic plague that had already killed 50,000 people, including the famous painter Titian.
The Venetian Senate did not know what to do, and ended up asking for a divine intervention! It was decided to build a church on the island of the Giudecca to prove the devotion of the city to Christ: the Church of the Redeemer (by Andrea Palladio).
On July 21, 1577, the end of the pandemic was celebrated. The Venetians reaffirmed their devotion and thanked Christ the Redeemer with a procession. To cross the Giudecca canal and reach the Church of the Redeemer still under construction, a temporary bridge made of boats was created for the first time.
For almost five centuries, the Feast of the Redeemer has been commemorated and celebrated every year during a weekend full of emotions! The Venetians go out in boats, in typical Venetian boats such as the “sanpierota” or the “sandolo“. The temporary bridge is recreated for the occasion and allows to cross the canal to get to the church.
For more information on Redeemer 2023, you might also be interested in: